Friday, September 28, 2007

Yom Kippur in Petach Tikva



I had a great Yom Tov. I spent it in Petach Tikva with my friend Jodi that I met at orientation. We went to a Modern Orthodox Temple that is literally right next to her apartment. Its amazing here. Nobody drives. All the kids were riding bikes in the street. Jodi and I walked right in the middle of the main road going in the wrong way.

Petah Tikva, north-east of Tel Aviv, has the second largest industrial sector in Israel (after Haifa), divided into three industrial zones - Kiryat Arye, Kiryat Matalon, and Segula. Industries include textiles, metalwork, carpentry, plastics, processed foods, tires and other rubber products, and soap. In the last few years many high-tech enterprises and start-ups have moved into the Petah Tikva industrial zone, including the Israeli headquarters for the Oracle Corporation, IBM, Intel, SanDisk, ECI Telecom, and GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals.

Also, Osem, one of Israel's leading food processing corporations is headquartered there. They make vegetarian chicken soup powdered broth that my mother makes with matzah balls so my brother will have it!

No comments: