Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Packing for Israel Young Judaea Year Course

I'm limited in what I can bring on El Al to Israel for 9 months. Out goes the special green rolling bag my Grandma Corinne sent from Florida and the large black rolling bag my mom bought in a tourist shop on the waterfront when we were spending quality time together in San Francisco. Both have dimensions too large for the restrictions. Ugh!!

I'm so glad I didn't wait to the last minute to pack. I've spent the last month organizing my things, purchasing items, deciding what I can bring and could lose, what I can't live without, what I don't care about, what I'm giving away. It's emotional, exciting and exhausting.

Here's the official limitations:
two pieces of checked luggage. The permitted total dimensions of the two pieces of luggage are 107 inches, with no one bag exceeding 62 inches. This total is calculated by adding the length, width and height of each bag. Thus, if one bag measures 62 total inches, the other cannot exceed 45 inches. The weight per bag is limited to 50 lbs.

Instead I'm taking the red rolling bag Grandma bought for my brother to take to Israel for 1 month in July and a rolling bag with organized compartments mom had in the garage.

Here's my inventory:
Red Roller
13
14
28

55

Compartment Roller
15
14
30

59

outer tops:
1 Eyor fleece pullover
1 fleece
1 short sleeve Blue sweater
1 long sleeve pullover
1 blue/grey fleece zipper jacket
1 black rain jacket
1 white jean jacket
2 sweat shirts
1 shrug
1 browh jacket

Bath:
1 yellow towel

Pants:
3 jeans
1 grey sweats
1 green sweats
2 black sweats

Dress up:
4 peasant skirts
1 plaid short skirt
1 jean long skirt
1 black short skirt
1 black short jacket
1 blue short skirt
1 blue short jacket
2 pairs black dress pants
1 blue peasant skirt


Underwear:
1 black underwear
3 short under
2 thermal tops
5 bras
12 panties


Other tops:
10 tank tops
14 tshirt
8 dress shirt
1 long tshirt

Bathing:
1 white skirt
2 bathing tops
3 bathing bottoms

Other:
17 pr socks
1 pr white shoes
1 black warm scarf


104 total inches

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joy-
My daughter, Katharine, will be coming for her year course this August. We can bring some 'stuff' with us this summer, since we have an apt. in Jerusalem...Would you have had enough room, if you had been able to bring more 'stuff' to fit into your dorm room???
Lorraine